Saturday, December 3, 2011

April 25th, 1942

Background: my grandfather, Gilbert Goetsch, was stationed with the 34th engineers in the army. he was at Pearl Harbor on December 7th and served all the way through until the end of the war. His sister, my great aunt Marce, was friends with my grandmother Juanita Pickett, and had asked my grandmother to write to her brother stationed overseas since he didn't get much mail and was having a hard time in the army.

Dear Juanita,
I received your very nice letter the other day. You may write as often as you wish. I will try to answer each letter that you write to me.

Sometimes it is rather hard to answer letters as soon as we get them because the lighting in the mess hall is very poor.

I am afraid that i am not a very good dancer. I did dance a little about three years ago. I haven't danced at all lately, i never really cared much about it. But i will be willing to learn when i get back.

I had some photographs taken and i am sending them home, I am going to have my sister bring one out to Mrs. Daley as soon as they get home. The fellows didn't think much of them.

When Mrs. Daley gets hers, how about being a pal and giving me your honest opinion.

I am sorry but i don't know that fellow you mentioned in your letter. he may be on another part of the island.

My birthday is August 29th and i don't mind you calling Gil.

I will close hoping that i hear from you real soon.

Your Friend,
Gil.



(the Gil my grandfather is referring to is his future brother in law who married my aunt Marce. Mrs. Daley is Gils mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment